Re: Graphing Rotation of ellipse

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Graphing Rotation of ellipse

Dear William,

Try this.

In POLAR mode, enter the equation (write theta instead of t, square root
instead of sqrt)

r1(t)=4/sqrt(7+2(sin t)^2-3 sqrt(3) sin (2t) )

Set the window: Xmin=-3, Xmax=3, Ymin=-2, Ymax=3, tMin=0, tMax=2pi

Let me know how it works.

Curves defined by equations of (x,y), not of the form y=f(x), are very hard to
draw. TI calculators cannot do it directly. Maple has a command for implcit
curve plotting, but if you try it, you will be rather disapionted with the
results.

If you want to draw a curve like this on a TI, you have to use some "tricks"
and recast the equation as a polar equation, or as a pair of parametric
equations. Of course, for ellipses you have also the Analytical Geometry
approach, which uses matrices, eigenvalues and eigenvectors. In this
particular case though, I think the above approach is simpler.

Greetings,

Erika