Re: Chess program for TI-8X

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Chess program for TI-8X

>I think the issue with making a chess program was that the AI would take up a
>lot of the calculator's memory. Possibly more than it has.

Without trying to date myself, I remember when a chess program took up only
16kb of memory, so it is quite possible to write an engine that will easily
fit on almost any of the 8x's, and even the 92. The question becomes
two-fold...

1) How FAST will the engine be? To even attempt to get something that plays

   beyond beginner level (ELO 900+) will require that the AI engine be written
   in assembly. This leads to...

2) How GOOD of a player do you want the opponent to be? This is where the bulk
   of the size of the chess program will come from, due to numerous opening
   libraries and the like.

Nathaniel Gibson
ngibson@postoffice.ptd.net