Re: TI-92 Lab Reports

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-92 Lab Reports

Byron Newberry writes:

> I use my TI-92 from time to time to take notes during talks.  I am
> frustrated, however, by the fact that when I print the reports,
> the words do not wrap on the hardcopy.  Instead words are split
> across two lines.  For example, the "yo" will be at the end of the
> line and the "u" will be on the next line.  Is there a way to
> solve this issue with the link software?  Has anyone written a
> program to resolve this issue?  All info is appreciated.

Basically, you want to pass the text file through a _filter_ that will hold on
to any uncompleted word at the end of a line (detected by peeking ahead at the
start of the next line) and glue it onto the start of the next line.  The
result will be a text file each of whose lines end in a whole word, but the
effect may be rather ragged (depends how many big words you use....).

Writing filters of this sort was the level of technology prevalent on personal
computers in the early 80's (the Apple II, the PC Junior, the TRS-80, etc.)
before the idea of a _word processor_ that would automatically handle this sort
of thing for you appeared.  This was also the level of technology on mainframes
in the early 70's (a few of us are around that still remember, I guess).
Calculators are coming along (whoever expected a calculator to include a text
processor anyway?).  I expect in another five years a built-in text-storing
facility that automatically wraps words (and who knows -- 80-column lines?)
will be standard on a good calculator.  In the meantime, perhaps someone has
written such a filter for the TI-92.  It should not be too tough.

This discussion is relevant to the larger discussion going on on the list about
what is a calculator and what is a computer and what one (either one) should do
for you.  I want to jump into that one too, but not right here!

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623