Re: TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-92

I have job grading homework for an algebra class at arizona state and it's
not like any algebra I ever learned.  they move at a real fast clip,
partly because of the 83's they have.  just the fact that you can do stuff
on an 83 like look at graph to find where discontinuities may be, that
helps with domain.  theres this neat "graph inverse" key.  you can
experiment with shifts/stretches of functions.  you can say 5-->x, then
evaluate a 8th degree polynomial.  you can multiply matrices, do guass
reduction, calculate statistics.  I say learn by doing.

that's some pretty powerful stuff.  I say give that to every 5th grader
(or even lower?) and let em go wild.  it's not a crutch because it means
they can now move on to real math that much sooner.  they can move into
differential equations literally years earlier.  that's real math, not
some stupid "train a leaves boston at 5:45..." crap.  that sort of algebra
has no application and also is not theoreticaly interesting.

I say show em some math with actual applications asap, and introduce
everyone to proofs much earlier.  all of my professors seem to be from
europe, and they all say they started to proofs in junior high school, and
that was years ago.  I say do that here in the usa and use caluculator for
calculating.  btw, I have a 92 and I say it's probably worth the extra
hundred.  one time purchase.

Jesse1s     at    hotmail     dot      com

Follow-Ups: References: