Re: The Home Made Links Suck

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Home Made Links Suck

Hello All--

OK, this point has been belabored but I will continue to belabor it.  When I
saw Mark write this I knew he was in for something.  Number one, it is dumb to
write an offensive comment to a news group who relies on such products as the
home made links.  I, for one, am a rather destitute college student who has
made several of the links.  I, as you can see from my address, am in Textiles,
not in engineering.  I can not solder very well, but I don't make a big deal
out of it.  One thing I learned from a high school teacher is that 'A bit dog
always barks' -- Translation-- don't always tell the exact details of the
really stupid things that you do.  We all have, at one time or another,
committed atrocities to electrical engineering, but we don't spill the beans.
If you want a TI Graphlink, spend the $30 to get the reliability.  Mark, did
you ever think that sometimes people like to do things like make their own
links for the satisfaction of doing something for themselves?  Even if it does
end up costing more (which it certainly SHOULD NOT) it is worth the
experience.  I, for one, just ordered one of the Graphlink Cable only packages
because I want to try it out.  I still might use the home made ones, but I just
got a new 86 (my 85 blew up) and I want to see what Texas Instruments has to
offer.  After all, it isn't that bad of a deal now, anyhow.

Therefore, the moral:
If you did it right, keep it.  If you have questions, ask them.  If you don't
like how they did it, please don't tell them.  They are bigger than you and
they will get pissed.

It is also quite clear that posting to this newsgroup with large pix will only
get you in lots of trouble.  I could care less, I have a 10 Base T connection
in my room.  God bless Ether Net.

Josh

Mslice wrote:

> I made 5 links and I spent 20 bucks.  My first link didn't work so I made
> another one and it didn't work.  Then I made a parrelel and it didn't work
> and then again I made a parrellel.  At the end I made a serial and all
> other the darn links didn't work.  This sucks.  With the time and money I
> spent I should of just bought a ti graph link.
>
> If you think of making your own link don't.  I got 3 1st degree burns from
> the soldering iron and I almost burned off my nail because some melted
> solder got on my nail.  I am now typing without my index finger for a few
> days.  At staples the link cost 34 bucks.  that means you pay 14 bucks more
> for the labor and you don;t have to go through someone else or make it
> yourself.  Also you know it works and that it will always have software
> that is good and working not like other software that kinda sucks.
>
> I don't know if it's me or the cables but at the end I have a messed up
> room.
>
> if you look at my serial link it looks like a damn tree with crap sticking
> all over the place.
>
> At the end I can only say that Home made links Suck ------  Ti graph link
> good
>
> Mark
> Mslice@hotmail.com
>
> Tell me what you think   :)

Warning
Could not process part with given Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vcard.vcf"