Re: What's a SILICON DIODE ??

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What's a SILICON DIODE ??

At 10:04 PM 9/7/97 GMT, you wrote:
>Hi, i want to make a link cable ($5 //) for my ti-92...
>
>I have the plans but i want to know what's a silicon diode...?
>Diode in the front of my PC is OK to make a homemade cable ??
>What's the difference between a "silicon" diode and a "normal" diode (in
>addition of the light) ??

A diode doesn't follow "normal" electrical "laws."  Electricity in a diode
flows from + to minus...not minus to plus.  A silicon diode is different
from a light emitting diode (which a silicon diode doesn't do...that is,
light up).  I personally don't know the engineering behind a silicon diode,
I just know what direction the electricity should flow and the minimum
input/output (usually told on the package) voltage should be
applied/received.  Hope I could be of help.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org