Re: Caculator Memory?!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Caculator Memory?!

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997 22:46:39 -0700, Nick Zitzmann <nickzman@ESKIMO.COM>
wrote:

Well, let's see all the 'expanders' made up to date (SFE1, EuP) work
with a simple memeory chip of some sort (the most famous one, Mel
Tsai's SF Expander, with the ATMEL 1Meg Bubble mem, isn't being made
anymore, which is also the cause of the termination of the SFE1
selling.). To get the stuff to your calc, you simply need to make the
calc 'talk' the way the chip does. that needs a driver. writing that
is complex, but assuming someone writes a driver you can use any
expander made on any TI with a linkport (and asm capabilities. now
with ASH all TIs with linkports have asm cap.)

The Expander II and III (I think the EuP kinda works like this too)
have an internal little processor to do some extra work on the memory
chip. this also allows for added functions and much cheaper, better
chips. If a very extended processor is used (probably even more
powerful than the Z80SL6 in the TI-8x :-P), it could probably conform
to the TI-8x [2nd] LINK protocol, but in that case you'd have to get
one where the ROM has been modified for the 82.

What I'm getting at is: with a driver, you can use any expander that
will ever be made.