Re: Networked 8x calcs :)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Networked 8x calcs :)

>Okay, I have this strange idea for creating a network for the TI-8x
>graphing calculator series.  I am picturing a small box where 4-5
people
>connect their calcs via a link cord to it.  From there, they all enter
>game and begin playing against each other.  Is this possible or even
>feasable to be done?  NETBIOS networks basically do the same thing as
what
>I just suggested.  The only thing that we would find difficult to
program
>is the synchronization of the packet protocol.  What do you think?
>Possible?  Worth the effort?

I have been toying around with this idea for a while. Basically it would
require a box with each calc having an "IN" line (to calc) and an "OUT"
line (to hub). Since linkports have 2 lines, this is not a problem. The
hub would connect the OUT line from 1 calc to the IN line of all except
the sending calc, so 1 woud send to 2,3,4; 2 would send to 1,3,4; etc.
The sending calc would wait for silence, and then transmit a "reserve"
signal for a few milliseconds. after this, it would check the IN line to
see if anyone else is putting out a reserve signal. If this happens, all
calcs stop trying to send for a random amount of time. If there is no
collision, the sending calc would then send a synch signal and then the
packet, which I would imagine to be start:to:from:size:data:CRC:end. The
protocol used in the data segment would be different for each game. How
does this sound?