Re: Chess = 1-player vs. TI-8X

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Chess = 1-player vs. TI-8X

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 22:09:42 -0600, ilya winham
<ilyamojo@GEOCITIES.COM> wrote:

>I am very curios on how a fairly good AI could be made for a chess game.
>I was looking at the old archive of Calc-ti mail's and noticed that a
>big discussion started from this type of programming challenge. Some
>said, "can't be done", others, "would be too big and slow", yet some
>others said' "It has, and can be done using little memory and still be
>fast" which they gave example of the HP's and said 1 has already been
>written for them. So, it is safe to believe that it can be done, after
>all, checkers, (by Frank Force) is a 1-player vs. TI-82 game and the
>computer is pretty hard to beat, fast, and the game is small. So if
>someone were to figure out how that was done and build on it, an AI for
>chess could be written. I am willing to try but need more information on
>how to program AI. I have made many programs and games but none have had
>a computer AI. I have the skills but not the knowledge to do so yet.
>Basically, what logarithm would work? Please, contribute your
>thoughts....

Don't bother making your own algorithm for a chess program. There are
plenty of sources (mostly in C/C++, but I also got one in Pascal) for
good chess computers, that could be ported. They're quite big,
and if you want to port them into assembly, it requires that you know
what you're doing (ie, understands the algorithm).

The chess computer doesn't need to be slow, but if it's fast, it will
play bad... of course there should be possibility to change how
much time the calculator is allowed to 'think'.

Jimmy Merdell <mja@algonet.se>
http://www.algonet.se/~mja
IRC: Yarin