Re: TI-92 programmers

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-92 programmers

In article <344EBFFD.FBF1FBAC@erols.com>, brierley@erols.com wrote:

> That isn't a very good example, the maximum area of any shape is the
> "regular" of that shape, meaning closest to a circle, meaning all of the
> sides are the same length.  This is not calculus, it is algebra 1! (the
> answer, by the way, is 9X9)

I think it does make sense to use calculus.
how do you know all the sides are the same length?  are you going to prove
that?  here's what I did:

rectangle, so 2x + 2y = 36

y=18 - x

now you need area,

area = xy

area = x(18-x)

define(area,x) = x*(18-x)

d(area,x)=0

solve for x

that is your MIN val for x that gives area 36

you could use vertex idea, -b/2a.  don't have a clue how to do that with
geometry alone.

J_Samuels (at) yahoo.com

> Bobby Atkinson wrote:
>
> >  I am looking for some one to help with programming the TI-92 for
> > calculus
> > word problems.
> > example:  (solving maximum and minimum problems)  Find the maximum
> > possible
> > area of a rectangle whose perimeter is 36 cm.
> > and some related rates problems.
> > thanks for any help
> > reply to:  Bobby Atkinson  atkinson1@theonramp.net

Follow-Ups: References: