Re: Am I paying too much?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Am I paying too much?

At 06:00 PM 10/16/97 -0500, S. Lee wrote:
>I'm sorry to bother all of you again so soon, but I have another
>question. Recently I ordered a few parts from Mouser Electronics to make
>a parallel TI-PC link cable. The parts added up to a total of about
>$8.50(thanks to Pete for the part numbers). I decided to have it
>delivered via UPS Ground Shipping, and pay C.O.D. Thinking that the
>final cost(including shipping and etc.) would add up to around $10, I
>placed the order without even thinking about the cost. Then later it
>came to my mind and I decided to email Mouser about it. I listed the
>parts and their costs, and I asked them what the final cost would be
>with the shipping and C.O.D. charges. In a reply Mouser Elec. told me to
>add approx. $4 for shipping and around $5 for C.O.D. charges. This seems
>a bit outrageous, since the costs of the parts themselves don't even add
>up to $9. Did I just get ripped off? Or did I make a bad choice by
>deciding to pay C.O.D.? I'm a high school student, I don't have my
>personal checks and my parents are not too eager to write me a check for
>$10 for an accessory for a calculator that seems to work just perfectly
>by itself. I thought there wouldn't be a charge for paying C.O.D.,
>because in the "Ordering Info" part of Mouser Electronic's page I read
>that only shipping charges are added to credit card/C.O.D. payments. I'm
>really confused. It seems like a lot of you bought parts from Mouser
>Electronics one time or another, can someone please shine some light on
>this subject?

I either borrow my parent's CC or write a check, I have my own checkbook.
$9 isn't so bad, I know that the actual part doesn't cost anything near the
shipping, but Mouser ISN'T making a profit on it. The reason they charge
for shipping is to pay for it to be shipped, and the charge for the COD is
the same. You can get most of the parts from Radio Shack, and not have to
pay shipping, but you'd probably spend just as much, if you could even find
what you needed. :)

-Tim
--
timg@means.net | http://www.cjnetworks.com/~coryb/timg/