Re: TI-86 Calculator capabilities

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-86 Calculator capabilities

At 01:36 PM 10/18/97 -0400, Mike Gagne wrote:
>**************************
>y1=x
>y2=-x
>********************************
>I did the above...and the resulting graphs aren't at right angles to each
>other..!

Yeah they are =P.  Remember, if ymax = 5, ymin = -5, xmax = 5, xmax = -5 -
you will NOT be getting the right graph =P.  There is a greater width than
height.  Try looking at it in something like ymin = -3, ymax = 3, xmin =
-5, xmax = 5.

>Using the slope/intercept form of a linear equation:
>
>1.    y = mx + b
>2.    y = (-1/m)x + b
>
>...the graph of equation-1 should be perpendicular to
>the graph of equation-2 !!! My calculator's graphed lines aren't at right
>angles to each other !!!
>

>---Again, I say what's up !!!

The negative reciprocal is not a linear equation, it is a hyperbola.

>-Thanks
>--Mike Gagne

|  Joseph M. Gaffney - gaffney@thethinker.com  |
|          IRC: CuCullin, RmMinusRf            |
|  http://www.thethinker.com/members/gaffney/  |
|       /server irc.pagannet.org 10000         |