Re: TI-86 Calculator capabilities

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-86 Calculator capabilities

>> Q2.
>> Is there a way to program the calculator
>> to take a 3rd derivative, 4th derivative
>> ...etc.???? And without writing a 50k
>> program!!!

> Yes, asm.
> ............Well, you have good reason to learn how to write a derivative
> program in asm, huh? =)

The old saying goes that if you only have a hammer, the whole world
starts to look like a nail.  :-)}

Without having my TI-86 and manual in front of me I can't come up with
the precise syntax for setting up the expressions.  But there is absolutely
no reason why you cannot define y2 to be the (numeric) derivative of y1,
then y3 to be the derivative of y2, etc.  Evaluation will be a bit slow, but
so what?

If you want symbolic expressions then you are going to have to use a
computer algebra system like the one built into the TI-92.  Or, I guess,
you _could_ write an assembly language program if you wanted to take
a side trip half-way around the world...

          RWW Taylor
          National Technical Institute for the Deaf
          Rochester Institute of Technology
          Rochester NY 14623