Re: ASM question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ASM question

I read this awhile ago on the newsgroup (before i was subscribed to
the list, and i wanted to respond to it).

>But it won't work 100% on many programs. One reason it causes problem
>is that most of the time (at least not with my programs)  I never use
>the alias TEXT_MEM - I type $80DF instead. So, when compiling
>with 85-86.h, the variables won't be stored in the textmem, but in
>RAM page 1 (but that will actually work, but that's just pure luck).

Well, it would not be too difficult to look for and change all of the
$80df's to TEXT_MEM (or write a small program to do it automatically).
I know that i never use CURSOR_ROW and CURSOR_COL (which is probably
your fault since i think it is that way on your zshell tutorial).

>A lot of romcalls that are very similiar for the 85 & 86 aren't 100%
>compatilbe though. For example, call _puts on the TI-86 doesn't work
>when displaying on the two last lines. Also, GET_KEY destroys the BC
>register on the 86, but not on the 85 (which caused me some problems).
>Sure, it's just to push/pop BC in front of get_key, but that needs to
>be done manually.

you could define the macro in the 85-86 conversion header to include
the push and pop's of bc for GET_KEY.  and you could probably do this
with any other function.  possibly even write out the entire routine
for the case of _puts not working the same.

>There are a lof of other similiar stuff as well that will make games
>not 100% compatible.
>

>Jimmy Mårdell <mja@algonet.se>
>http://www.algonet.se/~mja
>IRC: Yarin

I say it would be difficult, but not impossible.  And i may not really
know what i am talking about since i have never programmed for the 86.

-mike pearce

Follow-Ups: References: