TI-86 and radical expressions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Stoops Ryan D <stoopsr@MSOE.EDU> writes:

> I know this has been brought up before, but I didn't hear the answer and
> I was wondering if there is any way to convert a decimal to a radical eg.
> .86~~ would be equal to square root 3 /2.  thanks

The problem is 0.86WHAT??   A calculator that uses floating-point
storage (like all the TI-8x's) can only store a truncated representation
of a number.  If you ask what is a radical expression corresponding to
0.8660.... (that's the first four digits of the decimal expansion of
sqrt(3)/2 you just might get back the answer  109*sqrt(2)/178   :-)}

The TI-92, in contrast, has the power to store (and work with) exact
expressions involving powers and radicals.  The difficulty there is
knowing whether for a given application one really has sqrt(3)/2, say,
exactly or just some result that is close to this value (say if you are
calculating the sine of an angle that measures _about_ 60 degrees).

There has been some discussion on the MATHEDCC list of why using
calculators can help a math instructor get at important questions
relating to the nature of numbers and their representations (if the
instructor is interested in this topic -- and one would hope for the
sake of students that he or she would be).

          RWW Taylor
          National Technical Institute for the Deaf
          Rochester Institute of Technology
          Rochester NY 14623