Re: TI-82 Mac users only

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-82 Mac users only

Okay, before anyone is going to post stupid stuff like:

| It's all public domain because it's on the net.
| We can copy it as long as we don't modify it.
| copyrights, like patents, must be registered.

go READ UP ON THE COPYRIGHT LAWS! Posting about stuff you don't know
anything about, peoples, makes you look dumb. Crash course copyrights:

1. the word means, the RIGHT to COPY. only the author or people who
have written consent from the author have the right to copy.

2. Anything ever made is copyrighted. A copyright notice helps, and an
application to the copyrights office helps even more. However, the
only difference it makes is the amount of money you get as
compensation in a court case.

3. having products on the net and it's public domain? what are you
thinking? You can get internet explorer from the net.. you can get
tons of stuff from the net.. so it's public domain? anyone can take
inet explorer's source, modify it some, and sell it in the stores? WHy
don't you do that and see what M$ is going to do.

4. Ticalc doesn't just take things and put em on their website. In
fact, most ti websites have been 'stealing' them off of there, without
consent of the author. Either the author uploaded it, or ticalc asked
if they could put it up, or there is written consent in the docs:

 A. This product is freeware and may be freely distributed in it's
original form as long as no fee is charged for it beyond compensation.

 B. This product is public domain.

 both of the above would allow ticalc to use the product as it counts
as written consent. if such a note isn't there, you CANNOT COPY IT.
Unmodified form has nothing to do with it. Only if it's an A-type
notice does that one come into play. Those who want to release a disk
must either get written consent from the author that they don't mind
him getting a profit out of it, -OR- charge less than $5 for a disk.
Someone was mumbling about a CDR.. the idea is a good old floppy disk.
There is no way S&H and 1 to 2 floppy disks costs more than $5.

Okay, let's end this whole deal.

If you want to distribute a disk, either charge $5 or less, or get a
note from EVERY SINGLE AUTHOR, written and signed, that they don't
mind you making a profit out of it, and that they don't want any of
the profits. if an author doesn't agree, you can't put their
program(s) on your disk.

Follow-Ups: References: