Re: TI vs. HP vs. Casio

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI vs. HP vs. Casio

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997 15:16:26 -0400 Wes Mininger <miningw@ELMO.NMC.EDU>
writes:
>In connection with this, has anyone noticed that most (at least every
>one
>I have seen) textbooks are written with casio calculators in mind? Ive
>never seen a text with info on the TI or HP, but it always gives the
>examples for casios.  Ive never even seen a person who owned a casio,
>so
>why are the texts like this? maybe there is some school somewhere that
>is
>filled entirely with people who have casios?

I have noticed that too, my book has examples for the Casio 7700.  But
the majority of people that have responed to my request have said that I
should not even think about Casio'sm nor should I think about Sharps.  I
did have about 3 people who loved them, but the rest hated them.  95%
either supported either TI or HP.  I have used the Casio Scientifics,
loved them, would buy another before TI, liked the layout better, and it
was much smaller.  I have gathered (from about 100 responses) that the TI
are better for the majority of HS math, and the HP's are better for
engineering math, and more real-world math.  For college math, they are
split 50/50.  There are disadvantages to both though.  Generally
speaking, the TI's are more limited that the HP's, but more
user-friendly.  The HP's have the hard to learn RPN (Reverse Polish
Notation), but once you learn it, it is much more powerful, and faster
that the TI's.    Personally I have only used TI's calcs, so it is hard
to base my own opinion, however I would like to try the HP's and even
Casio/Sharp calc, just so I can decide for myself.

-calc82  c82@juno.com
WANTED:TI-92, prefer something like broken link port to make it CHEAP.