Re: Which TI should I buy?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which TI should I buy?

Justin Smith wrote:

> > I would be wary about the TI-92 for high-school math. It is perfectly
> > fine for math courses, but don't plan on bringing that bad boy into
> > any of the standardized tests. (SAT, ACT...)
>
> Well once you take those tests it doesn't matter a bit! Also, the math
> on those tests doesn't even require a TI-92's capabilities anyways. :)
>
> -Justin
The SAT itself doesn't require the capabilities of any graphing
calculator; the problems are designed in such a way that the solutions
can be solved easily if you can see the pattern.  Any cheap $5-10 calc
will take care of whatever work you have left there.  If you still feel
wary about this advice, feel free to take a larger calculator just for
peace of mind.

The TI-92 is much too advanced for high-school math, IMHO, but it can
make you really stand out in class.  Just don't let it do all your
homework, or you might become too dependent on it.  Instead of a '92,
I'd recommend an '83 for your regular math, or an '86 if you plan on
taking more advanced classes.

Tavis