Re: Is the TI-92 worth the cost?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is the TI-92 worth the cost?

Does the Ti-92 have the ability to symbolically manipulate any variable
in an equation, or is it stuck with functions of x and y like the Ti-85?
If it can, it is not the only handlheld calculator capable of this, as
this was seen in the Hp-48 series about 7 years ago.  If the Ti-92 can
only work with equations of x and y, then it offers no improvement
(other than basic symbolic manipulation, which is what they are there to
learn anyway) I can see in algebra over a Ti-86 (which can not do
symbolic manipulation, but can do numeric equation solving).

As for the original poster, check out
http://www.ti.com/calc/docs/graph.htm for a good comparison of Ti calcs.
Also, the Hp-38G is highly comparable to the Ti-8X series; see it at:

http://www.hp.com/handheld/calculators/product_info/

> Gary Wardal writes:
>
> > In a few weeks I have to recommend a calculator to be used in
> > Algebra-Trigonometry courses for next year at our college. (A
> > small university setting.) Currently we require the TI-85. We
> > have had good experiences using the TI-85 for the past four years.
> > No other calculator is required in any other class. Students
> > in other classes often buy the TI-85 and use it their other classes.
> >
> > The TI-86 seems a natural choice but the TI-92, with its symbolic
> > calculations is so compelling. I have had a TI-92 for about two
> years
> > and I am convinced these kinds of calculators are the calculators of
> the
> > future.
>                   (snip)

        SNIP

          What one
> has to understand and practice in order to appropriately manage such
> calculations needs to be made the point of basic mathematical
> instruction.  It is certainly tempting to try to move the
> instructional
> agenda along by working with students with the TI-92 (the only
> current representation on the market of this stage of technology).

Not true; see above.

        SNIP

          Unless you
> (and your college) are willing to accept this challenge then perhaps
> you
> would be better sticking with the TI-86.  There are still plenty of
> things
> you can do with a good graphing calculator that "push the envelope"
> of what mathematics instruction should be.
>
>           RWW Taylor
>           National Technical Institute for the Deaf
>           Rochester Institute of Technology
>           Rochester NY 14623
>
>           >>>> The plural of mongoose begins with p. <<<<

Agreed; the Ti-86 is probably more than enough for algebra and
trigonometry.
If you really want to cut prices, go with the Ti-83, which for your
classes is still more than enough.  As a former college student, being
on a budget means the cheapest workable option is always the best;).

Mark P. Wilson
E-mail:  im1077@exmail.usma.edu