Re: An open letter to web-browsing TI enthusiasts.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Tue, 27 May 1997, AKBishop wrote:

> There are tons of Calculator Web Pages out there that start with some
> files they "leeched" off other web pages.  Where else are they supposed to
> get them? Anyway, so ticalc.org has not been operating or quite a while
> now, every site is expected to go through some rough times, and ticalc.org
> had its.  But, when they finally come back and find out that there is a
> really good page, they get upset.  MANY people have web pages but do the
> ticalc.org staff get mad at them? No.  eNdocomp (brabeler@ticalc.org) runs
> the fargo archive.  Now it seems to me that a ticalc.org member is
> betraying the ticalc.org team by challening the Fargo files at ticalc.org.
> and they can't take it.  In NO way does TI Files want to get rid of
> ticalc.org (Well, they do now b/c ticalc.org is being so rude).  They
> wanted to simply coexist.  ticalc.org can have the "old" people who want
> to stick with it and enjoy the simple interface with no graphics hardly
> while the "new" calculator users who enjoy Java and neat graphics can use
> TI Files.

I personally don't like canned Java. I like content. If the Java applets
really contributed to my search for files, I would like them. But if they
just sit there and look dorky, I would much rather go to a site like
ticalc.org that has few graphics, and the ones it DOES have contribute to
the site. (I'm thinking about the imagemap on the left frame...)

ticalc.org lets a person quickly check what files are new, and easily go
to the directories they are in. TI Files doesn't, afaik. ticalc.org lets
you browse through the archives via ftp, it has a DCC link from the
ticalc.org bot on #calc-ti. ticalc.org is useful, fast, and accessable.

> Come to IRC EfNet.  There are two main channels.  #ti-files where you
> don't get banned unless you're flooding the channel or something and
> #calc-ti where you get banned if you look at one of the ops crosseyed.

Hmm.. I'm an op there an have never banned anyone for looked cross-eyed at
me.. :)

-Tim
--
Tim P. Gerla | timg@means.net | http://timg.home.ml.org/ | Tybstar@IRC

"...Prodigy Internet is the first service that allows you
to be online and on the Internet at the same time."
- Prodigy ad, Computer Shopper, Dec '96