Re: One page should be enough.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: One page should be enough.

At 04:57 PM 5/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
>James Sulak wrote:
>>
>> Hey, I've got some web space bought on Superb.net that I need to use
>> (failed business venture).  Superb.net's service is great (rated number
>> one).  Check out thier qualifications at www.superb.net .  I was going to
>> get rid of the space because I couldn't pay for it, but this does sound
>> like a great idea.  I'll talk it over with my friend who also owns part of
>> it, but I think he will agree.  Anyone interested in investing $5 or so
>> dollars in a good collection of TI-calc homepages?  If so, I'm interested
>> in managing it! Contact me at james@superb.net!  Thanks for your time.
>
>I strongly object. This is a BAD idea. The power of the internet is that
>millions of authors are empowered to publish their own material and
>promulgate their own original ideas. The internet is the antithesis of
>one person or one group consolidating a bunch of web pages into one
>controlled from the top-down web site. In fact, this is the very lesson
>that is apparent from the TI-files fiasco: that when the leader
>(ticalc.org) experiences technical difficulties beyond their control,
>another site comes along to fill the content vacuum. In other words, the
>more authors, the more people in control, the more pages, the better.
>
>HOWEVER, what we want to avoid now is redundancy. Any kid who thinks
>he's gonna start his own TI-85 homepage these days is wasting his time.
>Likewise, any site who copies the entire FTP archives of another site is
>also wasting their time.
>
>My suggestions are as follows: 1) Ticalc.org should have multiple
>mirrors like The Fargo Archive in order to avoid future server
>interruptions. 2) People with TI web pages should join the TI-web ring
>(see http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/9261/tiring.html) 3)
>Ticalc.org should contain a complete up-to-date index of other TI
>related web pages.

The best thing about the Internet is the redundancy.  The idea of the
TI-Community is to keep the ticalc.org incident from ever happening again.
With three main TI-pages, the probability of all of them going down is low.
 My bet is that the majority of the people that join the TI-Community will
keep their pages up on their previous servers as well.  The main appeal is
that people would only have to go to one place to find the answer or
program they were looking for.  The TI-Community would also include
discussion groups, databases, and most important, a way to search all of
the TI pages included with out having to sort through irrelevant answers.
The approach of the TI-Community is the exact opposite of that of the other
two main pages: it will have many authors with many different goals.  The
only regulation that will occur is that your site's links are accurate and
that it is updated at least every once and awhile.

If we can find an organization that is willing to donate the money
required, the $5 fee will not be needed.

James Sulak
james@superb.net
Beginners TI-85 ZShell Programming,
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/6385/index.html
Member: HTML Writers Guild, Associate Member: International Webmaster
Association