Re: One page should be enough.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: One page should be enough.

James Sulak wrote:

> Hey, I've got some web space bought on Superb.net that I need to use
> (failed business venture).  Superb.net's service is great (rated number
> one).  Check out thier qualifications at www.superb.net .  I was going to
> get rid of the space because I couldn't pay for it, but this does sound
> like a great idea.  I'll talk it over with my friend who also owns part of
> it, but I think he will agree.  Anyone interested in investing $5 or so
> dollars in a good collection of TI-calc homepages?  If so, I'm interested
> in managing it! Contact me at james@superb.net!  Thanks for your time.

I strongly object. This is a BAD idea. The power of the internet is that
millions of authors are empowered to publish their own material and
promulgate their own original ideas. The internet is the antithesis of
one person or one group consolidating a bunch of web pages into one
controlled from the top-down web site. In fact, this is the very lesson
that is apparent from the TI-files fiasco: that when the leader
(ticalc.org) experiences technical difficulties beyond their control,
another site comes along to fill the content vacuum. In other words, the
more authors, the more people in control, the more pages, the better.

HOWEVER, what we want to avoid now is redundancy. Any kid who thinks
he's gonna start his own TI-85 homepage these days is wasting his time.
Likewise, any site who copies the entire FTP archives of another site is
also wasting their time.

My suggestions are as follows: 1) Ticalc.org should have multiple
mirrors like The Fargo Archive in order to avoid future server
interruptions. 2) People with TI web pages should join the TI-web ring
(see http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/9261/tiring.html) 3)
Ticalc.org should contain a complete up-to-date index of other TI
related web pages.

As for me, I am keeping my TI web page
(http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt3130a/calc.htm which contains only
programs I have written) on my own account under my control, and I'm
keeping my $5. No bureaucracy for me.

Jonathan Maier
Music Director, Studio Director, DJ
WREK-Atlanta 91.1                       gt3130a@prism.gatech.edu