From:   Open discussion of TI Graphing Calculators  On Behalf Of Eli Allen
Sent:   Saturday, June 21, 1997 2:35 PM
To:     CALC-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM
Subject:        Re: QUESTIONS about the TI-86!?!

I'm not saying it is compiling.  But if you are trying to make a command
that would assemble a program into machine code and had to keep the name
short what would you call it?  I seems like TI called it AsmComp because to
those that don't known the difference between assembling and compiling they
might think that both terms mean the same thing.  Plus AsmComp makes more
sense then AsmAsm.

Therefore using the wrong term "compile" is a better term to use to avoid
confusion.
--
Eli Allen       eallen@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us
Team Gates      OSR2 beta test site

Andrew Wendt <powerpig@M-NET.ARBORNET.ORG> wrote in article
<Pine.BSI.3.95.970621144137.6010A-100000@m-net.arbornet.org>...
> On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Richard Bowman wrote:
> > You must certainly do "compile" assembler code. It is just another
language
> > just like C++ or BASIC, which is then converted into machine code.
> >
> > BowmanSoft Software
> > http://www.bowmansoft.com/
> > Web Hosting and Design Services
>
> You could say that.
>
> Notice that you see people selling Microsoft C compilers, and MASM
assemblers.
> You don't see any `Assembly compilers' or `C assemblers'.
>
> Also I would suggest that they are fundamentally different operations. In
> assembling, there is a well-defined mapping between the assembler
commands and
> the machine language. And since you can convert between the two freely,
you
> could even say that you are programming in the chip's native language,
but
> expressing yourself in a form easier to understand than bits and numbers.
Sort