re "why *are* teachers scared "

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re "why *are* teachers scared "

*****************
>From Jesse.Samuels@asu.edu

"why *are* teachers scared of the ultimate power?  doesn't it just let you
get to the good stuff in math? I think so.  You can always emphasize
fundamentals, but I'd rather move on."
*****************

I am a teacher and I am not "scared" of having any calculator or computer
program used by any of my students. What the new technology does bring us
is new challenges. Any time something new comes along some people see it
as a problem others see it as a challenge. The TI-92 and the calculators
of the next few years may well dictate whole new teaching and learning
strategies. Mathematics, including the teaching of mathematics progressed
so slowly for so many years, now things are moving and changing so quickly
it's hard to predict what is really is mathematically important. It is
an exciting time to be alive.

A few years ago there were choruses of mathematics teachers, all levels,
who spoke of the dire consequences of using the 4-function calculators.
It seems that history is repeating with respect to symbolic calculators.
If the "dire consequences" have occurred or will occur it's our fault,
the mathematical community, for not reacting properly to the challenges
of the new technologies.

Mathematics can be taught in the class room with or without computers
or calculators. The question is will students do mathematics outside the
class room without computers and calculators. From my experience, both as a
student
and teacher, I find that the doing of anything is the best teacher.
I can require my students while in my classroom to be able to compute
square or cube roots to the nearest thousandths place using pencil and paper
only. They will do it for me  and do it correctly on any test or quiz.
I really don't think, if required outside of class, they will do it
without a computer or calculator. The same holds true I think for
symbolic algebra. I can require my students be able to factor
polynomials without a calculator in side the walls of my classroom.
Outside I have no control. They will factor any way they can, those who
know Derive or have a TI-92 may well use it. If the doing of something is
the best teaching of something then that's how it should be taught. If they
are going to use symbolic calculators to do mathematics then they should be
taught
how to use symbolic calculators. It's obvious from what I see from my students
and from the response from this forum is that we teachers are not teaching
students the use of calculators in the doing of mathematics.

Perhaps I'm too critical of the mathematical community, how do we know
what really is going to be important to teach and what is going to
be irrelevant next next week. I guess that is the challenge.
Teachers want to do a good job. I don't think most teachers are "scared"
of the "new technology" they just don't know what to do with it and things
are a changing, perhaps too fast.

Good Luck

Gary Wardall