Re: ok, the big question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ok, the big question

Jesse Samuels wrote:

> why *are* teachers scared of the ultimate power?  doesn't it just let
> you
> get to the good stuff in math? I think so.  You can always emphasize
> fundamentals, but I'd rather move on.

Speaking for myself (and not all teachers LOL) I've been doingsymbol
manipulation since MathCAD and through Derive, Maple, etc.
It's great for doing grant manipulation - but it's not great for
learning
the concepts behind basic skills and students who want to substitute
button pushing for understanding (and there are surprisingly many)
only get confused about what it is they are supposed to be doing.
It's like trying to learn mountain climbing by taking a helicopter to
the top.

geoff