Re: ZSHELL?????

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ZSHELL?????

On Mon, Jul 21, 1997 4:06 PM, Eli Allen <mailto:eallen@MAIL.BCPL.LIB.MD.US>
wrote:
> So I assume that You like Macs, right?  So if you like Macs your looking
> forward to Rhapsody.  So here is a reason why your sig is bad (I'm not
> saying Macs are bad, I just don't like them.)
> A short history lesson:

Actually, I'm not looking forward to Rhapsody. Rhapsody will only run on
Macs released since January 1997. My Mac is several years old...

[...snip...]
> So as you can see Rhapsody is based off Unix.  So I could say:
>         Rhapsody:
>         From the people who brought you vi

Uhh, no.

1. OpenStep was based on Unix, but never was a "real" Unix flavor, like
Solaris or NetBSD or HP/UX or even Linux. The same goes for the BeOS - both
OpenStep and BeOS (and the Amiga, in a way) were loosely based on Unix, but
all Unix similarities end there.

2. Vi (or Elvis, or whatever you want to call it) was a Unix System V
thing, and if I remember right, System V release 4 is owned & distributed
by Novell. So, any product from Novell was from the people who brought you
Vi (not any Apple product.)

3. The most primative text editor ever put out by Apple was TeachText,
which was still light years beyond EDLIN.

> But does that mean Rhapsody is a bad OS?

Legacy systems will always be inferior to new systems. That's why BeOS &
Rhapsody & the like will be better systems. Microsoft, on the other hand,
bends over frequently to be backwards-compatible. Why do you think Windows
95 promised a lot and delivered a little? Microsoft couldn't risk
backwards-compatibility with older applications.

Now, Rhapsody will run Mac applications, but Mac applications will run in a
different "box" within Rhapsody.

> Just something you should think about before trying to insult another OS.
> Before you insult another OS again you should think of these two things:
> 1.  Remember your history (so someone can't turn around what you said and
> point it back at you like I just did)

You didn't point out much of anything.

> 2.  If the OS really that bad or is it just your preference that makes
you
> think one is better then the other?

I say that Microsoft operating systems really are that bad. I know from
experience.

> It is ok to like an OS but don't insult another OS especially when you
don't
> know much about the other OS or your own.

Well, I have three PCs, each of which run Windows 95. Just a few minutes of
suffering all sorts of weird problems with them (which don't happen on my
Mac) makes me glad I have a Mac to turn to...

I'm not alone, either; Apple has the highest level of customer satisfaction
in the industry...

Nick Zitzmann                             No WWW page at this time.
(Resident Macintosh Tweaker)
                                          Windows 95:
                                          From the people who brought you
                                            EDLIN!