Re: copyright

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: copyright

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Andy Johnson wrote:

> >Jeff Tyrrill wrote:
> >>
> >> With the ROM image, you essentially have the calculator because you
> >> can run it
> >> on an emulator. That is one reason TI would definitely mind if the
> ROM
> >> is
> >> being distributed; the other is just that they want to protect their
> >> copyright.
> >
> >And if you would please explain to me: what need do I have for an
> >emulator of a TI calc on a _PC_ if there are tons of much better math
> >(and game) software for it.  Isn't PORTABILITY the main point of
> >calculators?  You can't (and don't want to) haul a PC with an emulator
> >to your calculus (or intro to algebra, for that matter) class, do you?
> >
> >Oleg.
>
> Yes, but this is beside the point.  The fact is, TI has the right to
> prevent their ROM code to spread, and they are enforcing it.  Just be
> glad they do allow us to make a "backup copy" and use it in an emulator,
> with no real intention of using it as a backup.  And anyway, if there
> was no reason for TI to control it, why would they need to, nobody would
> distrubute it.
>
> Andy Johnson

is an emulator so sinister?  I respect that TI has a copyright, and can
do as it pleases, but *why* would TI be against shareware emulators?  I
don't beleive they have competing software (?).  Also, shouldn't TI
promote emulators because that creates a market for more programmers,
meaning more customers?  I don't think anyone would use an emulator by
itself, it wouldn't be that useful (comments..).

it also just adds another dimension to their product, maybe a good reason
to buy TI v HP (?).

PS: does anyone have info on buy-out of TI by another defense
contractor?  I saw something on PBS yesterday, but I forget who...

Jesse.Samuels@asu.edu

Follow-Ups: References: