Re: copyright

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: copyright

> you *can* copyright ideas, but it has to be fairly specific.  part of the
> wright brothers copyrights regarded *how* to put the plane in flight,
> there was very little componet wise they did that was new, it was the
> combination that was so important.

I doubt it. Maybe you are thinking of patents?

They apply to inventions and novel methods of doing things.

> the reason Apple couldn't copywright the *idea* of a gui is because it
> existed before they came along.  maybe in an alternate universe apple, or
> even xerox would be an even bigger monster than microsoft and intel
> combined - for good or bad.

You can't copyright only an idea. It has to be a manifestation of an idea.

Unfortunately, many software ideas like GUIs are patented. Overlaying one
image on another with XOR is patented. You can visit www.lpf.org for more
information on software patents.

> aside from that, I think TI would not mind as long as there was no profit
> involved, they may even appreciate it if distribution leads to more TI
> calc users (and less HP, etc).

They have said before that they don't want it distributed.

> > If I sell an apple on the street, the nature thingie, not the computer,
> > apple, the company doesn't have any legal rights.

Also note that you could make Apple Vacuum Cleaners or McDonald's Tractors.
Apple only owns the name when applied to computers.

TTFN
Andy