Re: copyright

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: copyright

On Sat, Jul 12, 1997 4:47 AM, Nadler <mailto:sn11162@CEDARNET.ORG> wrote:
> Can you make a game for a calc using a copyrighted name like Tetris? I
> am assuming that Tetris was copyrighted. When a calculator game says
> that it is copyrighted is it really copyrighted or did the author just
> write it on there?

Yes and no. Tetris (as a name and an idea) is trademarked and Copyright
1987, Elorg. (which is an abbreviation for Tetris's original publisher,
whose name is untypably long.) I believe commercial releases of Tetris must
come from a group which has officially licensed the game. They're probably
not going to hunt down people who make not-so-widely (read:
non-commercially) distributed versions of their game, though.

Besides that, I don't believe any of these Tetris game authors have put
their name down as the copyright name for "Tetris", just their own code
rendition of the game. That's understandable.

Nick Zitzmann                             No WWW page at this time.
(Resident Macintosh Tweaker)
                                          Windows 95:
                                          From the people who brought you
                                            EDLIN!