Re: copyright

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: copyright

> Can you make a game for a calc using a copyrighted name like Tetris? I
> am assuming that Tetris was copyrighted. When a calculator game says
> that it is copyrighted is it really copyrighted or did the author just
> write it on there?

You don't copyright a name. You can trademark a name though.

You copyright the game itself. Copyrighting is free, and you can copyright
anything you write (books, calculator programs, term papers). Putting a
copyright notice on your work will strengthen your protection against people
making copies of it without your permission. You can probably strengthen your
protection more by registering your copyright with some government agency.

If I write a program and copyright it, you can make an exact replica of it,
with the same name, as long as you didn't steal any of my code. It's not very
polite though.

Probably the name Tetris is trademarked, but I don't think they would care if
they saw the calc game. =8-)

Here is a helpful URL, 10 big myths about copyrights:
http://www.clari.net/brad/copymyths.html

TTFN
Andy