Re: TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-92

I also have a TI-92 and love it.  I like it so much because it has at it's
heart an extremely powerful, extremely versatile processor just waiting to
be exploited.  I love it because I can run Fargo and Fargo programs on it.
I love it because it conveniently (and effortlessly) tackles daunting
calculational and computational problems.  I love it because it came with
support for powerful LISP-based programming (but there do exist tedious
recursion bugs).  I love it because someday I hope to be able to use it
with my U.S. Robotics external modem to connect to the Internet.  Maybe I
can even use it to do most non-GUI based things that I currently do over
the Net with my laptop.  I guess in a nutshell, I love it because it
boasts the possibility of providing palm-top computing power at a mere
fraction of the cost of comparable machines.

However, . . . .

I don't like it because Fargo doesn't have enough support presently, nor
does it have as much development surrounding it as I'd like to see.  Nor
does it have the tools needed to realize my dream of practical Internet
connectivity.  Nor does it have support for a compilable high-level
language to enable non-assembler gurus to take full advantage of the
processing power in it.  Nor does the manufacturer of the calculator
support Fargo or other assembler interfaces for the TI-92.  So far, all
these things are intertwined.  Coincidence, or conspiracy . . . . you be
the judge.

        Jeff Bunds
        bunds@students.uiuc.edu