Replies to the TAPE85 business.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Replies to the TAPE85 business.

Commodore 64 - that's where I got the idea from. Will *NOT* be any faster
than that, but on the other hand, the commodore had 64k to fill, and this
one only a maximum of 32. On the other hand, the commodore had fastloaders,
and the ti won't be able to do that. If someone does build an ADC device
(see later), then something like McMik (nearly 32k.. as i said before, just
like with the SFE, you can't send via the [2nd] link menu (duh), and so you
can't send backups. After all, with backups you would be writing over your
own driver. not a possibility. Still, there are big games out there, and if
it's over 20k you are transferring, might take as much as 2 minutes, maybe
3.

as to handshaking.. duh! As I said a few posts earlier, I already have a
protocol worked out and a preliminary sender, and it all transfers to tape
just fine. The big problem:

Can't get anything back into the calculator. Listening to the tape gives
great big silence. It seems I need an anolog-to-digital convertor (aka. A/C
or ADC), and eventhough these things are dirt cheap. (www.analog.com sells
their cheapest one which should be more more than enough for less than 6
bucks apiece provided you do a mass-order (100+). I wouldn't know how to
built the relatively simple circuit (not nearly as complicated as the SFE I
would think.). Really, you just would need the power source connected (the
link port might already be enough.. it sends 5v, most ADCs advertised on
the net that I seen need 5v. or probably not, in which case 2 penlites
should last long. They don't take much power. Then you would need to
connect in and out, and move some jumpers to set the correct input range.
Again, I wouldn't know, it might be a lot more complicated, maybe a simple
ADC isn't enough, but it seems to me that should work.

If I could get my hands on something I could go experimenting, but I don't
quite feel like taking apart my soundcard :-). That's gotta have one.

--
-R.Zwitserloot@BTInternet.com