Re: 86 Basic to ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 86 Basic to ASM

BASIC is not just one language. The term refers to any language that has its
general look, syntax, and commands.

Hal and other compilers do not compile TI-BASIC; they compile their own
versions of BASIC. The reason TI-BASIC, and some other versions of BASIC that
share this property, cannot be compiled (and run without an interpreter) is
because code can be generated during runtime. If, at an Input command, the
user entered at the prompt an expression such as 4+5*6, the interpreter would
have to be present to evaluate that to 34. The user might not just use
mathematical symbols but other BASIC functions. Code can be generated not just
through an Input command, but inside the program code itself. It is true that
some commands could be pre-compiled, but an interpreter would always have to
be present because code can be generated.

The versions of BASIC that can be compiled and run without an interpreter
cannot generate code during runtime. If you use their Input command, for
example, you won't be allowed to enter expressions that contain BASIC
functions, but in TI-BASIC, you can.

Jeff Tyrrill
http://tyrrill-ticalc.home.ml.org/
http://ti-files.home.ml.org/