32k ain't enough. SFExp is one way, but how about this:

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

32k ain't enough. SFExp is one way, but how about this:

Now that I got my link, and now that I can finally start running through
assembler and all, I realize (even more than before) that the 32k isn't
enough. Course, it's way more than enough for what the TI85 is for. (not
games.). Anyway, that's not how (most of us) use it :-).

Mel Tsai's SF Expander is cheap, fast, simple, and in general amazed me.

Course, as most know, that special interface bubble chip isn't made
anymore. Mel found a new one, but not as suitable.

That gave me an idea. how about a portable diskdrive? They are sold
en-masse for attaching to laptops. (parallel port.) It'll make a load of
noise and will in general not be usable at all in class, but you can take
it with you and load info to-and-fro. Furthermore, when the calculator is
connected, the FDD can be used for data... that way games like MCMik and
Daedalus will actually have a serious set of levels (MCM does, but that's
one game where expansion at this point is not really possible due to
memory... its 23k). Big RPGs with graphics and all will be a possibility
too.

The SF Expander is cheaper, smaller, silent, and faster, but such a
solution will not run out of parts (I doubt they will stop making portable
3'5" floppy drives anytime soon) and you won't have the problem of limited
writes (bubble mem), and if you'd even run out of the 1MB on the expander,
in the case of a floppy drive, you can stick however many disks in.

NB: I just realized that if you'd have such a construction, a PC<->85 link
won't be needed, since you can just swap disks.

Course, I don't have a portable floppy....

Did anyone think/try/have opinions about this?

--
-R.Zwitserloot@BTInternet.com