Re: Solving??

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solving??

SkiMan wrote:

> This is what I want to solve:
> sin(51)/x=sin(31)/14
>
> I write it like this at my TI-92:
> solve(sin(51)/x=sin(31)/14,x)
>
> But the answere is very difficult to interpret for me...
> I don't understand the @s ns and so on..
> So how do I get the right answere as a normal answere???

erhh... I don't understand your problem,
solve(sin(51)/x=sin(31)/14,x) returns a nice
x=(14*sin(51))/sin(31)
or in exact mode:
x=-23.2235995096

However, I think I know what it is that you've encountered.
It took me some time to find myself, the first time I encountered it,
but it's actually under "solve()", page 442 in the manual.

Begin quote:
----------
Solutions might contain a unique new undefined variable of the form @nj
with j being an integer in the interval 1-255. Such variables designate
an arbitrary integer.

In Radian angle mode:

solve(sin(x)=0,x) <ENTER>   x = @n1*pi
End quote.

What it means is that you can put _ANY_ integer in place of @nj to
produce a solution. An obvious sideeffect of this is that you have an
unlimited number of solutions.

Regards,

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen