Re: 3-D Programming

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3-D Programming

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:

> Okay all you people who keep asking about 3-D games.  I am going to release
> some highly secretive info. that only advanced programmers know about (and
> who subscribe to several Game Development magazines or spent $250 on game
> programming books).  Here is the low-down on how a 3-D engine works:
> "slivers" and ray tracing

Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but...

Any SOB can pick up a book for $30 or so that has a working ray
*casting* (not tracing) engine, implemented in C and psudeocode.

It's not 'highly secretive'. See above, or go to any major source code
archive, and you can pick up the source code to Wolfenstine 3D itself
(legally), ACK3D, and many other engines, usually with source.

Anyway, the above post was a fairly good introduction to raycasting, even
though it had it's faults and a little sense of bloated ego.

-Tim
timg@means.net | http://www.cjnetworks.com/~coryb/timg