Re: OS-82 Review

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: OS-82 Review

Now I don't have an 82, but I still read up on everything just for
interest's sake.

At 10:26 AM 8/7/97 -0400, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:
>There is still too much "toddlers@erinet.com", "Jason Todd", and
>"Alphasoft" floating about in the program.

He doesn't have a right to let everyone know that this is his program?

>The advertisement at the BOTTOM of the shell isn't really needed (along
>with the stupid looking line).

Same.

>Not enough programs are listed per page.

Is this because of the window size?

>Limited by Jason Todd's window size for a title.

Is it a predetermined window size? Or does the size vary but has a defined
max?

>Forced to have his programs on your calc when you first transfer the backup.

I've noticed that many authors of shells do this with new distributions of
their shells, but I understand.  But, you don't have to overwrite what you
have, and you can also ungroup files, correct?

>"Powering Down" the calc (I normally quit the shell so I can use my
>linkport, do math stuff, or just shut down...I don't really care about the
>"Power Down" "feature")

Just because it has no use to you doesn't mean that it won't have use to
others.

>"All" ROM_CALLs supported...yeah, right.  Only WITH the ASH <-> OShell-82
>Development Kit v1.0 are ALL the ROM_CALLs supported in OShell-82.

And you talk about him trying to plug in a little advertisement?

>This shell has a LOT of work that needs to be done on it before it will
>have lots more good features than bad.  It has the basic concept of being
>able to run programs...but all these added "features" just make it bigger,
>clunkier, and decrease the value of the program.

Depends on your take on it.  Who knows what other people are looking for,
and an author looks to please the general public (and himself).

|         Joseph M. Gaffney - gaffney@thethinker.com         |
|           "Tiocfaidh Ár Lá" / "Our Day Will Come"          |
|  "If Ignorance Is Bliss Then Wipe The Smile Off My Face"   |
|                   The Creative Outlet                      |
|       http://www.thethinker.com/members/gaffney/           |

Follow-Ups: References: