Re: Backwards advancement...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Backwards advancement...

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997 23:58:38 GMT Jeff Kalikstein <jk@WESTNET.COM> writes:
>Fox Possession <kitsune@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>: be horrified to find that the thing's slower than my trusty 85.
>What's
>: with TI?
>
>You have to realize that when you are dealing with portable devices,
>speed
>is not the top priority.  Faster processors usually take up more
>power,
>and therefore drain batteries very quickly.  A 80286 could probably be
>purchased for not much more than a Z80, but it would kill your
>batteries.

Alright, fine.  Then do what laptop makers do-put in an AC port.  Even
still, I'm sure somebody makes a chip that would be faster, but would not
drain batteries significantly more.  The same way laptop makers have
found or made chips that run off 3.3 volts instead of 5 volts, with no
noticeable drop in speed.

Eric E. Klos   Mt. Clemens MI  R/C's, HO slots, mountain bikes,
computers, beginning Go-Kart project
WANTED:GO-KARTS complete or parts
FOR SALE OR TRADE:486 color laptop, best offer or trade for go-kart or
slotcars