Re: Questiiion questiion questiiion-Ti85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Questiiion questiion questiiion-Ti85

Dear Ruess,

 In some criteria the TI-85 does not do fractions.  In other ways it
does fractions.
Example you want to add 1/2 and 3/17.  You type in
1/2 + 3/17 (hit enter) and the calc says .676470588235  Then go {2nd}
{math} {misc} {>Frac} hit enter and the calc will display the answer of
23/34.

 It can get tricky using mixed numbers in the problem to mixed numbers in
the answer.

Example you want to multiply 3 and 1/2 by 7 and 2/3.  To do that you must
type in (3+1/2)*(7+2/3) enter then write down or store the 26 whole number
part of the decimal answer.
 Next subtract the 26 from the answer then do the decimal to frac steps
above. That will give you the 5/6 So the answer was 26 and 5/6.

  Like I said in some ways the TI-85 doesn't do fractions.  As far as
fractions go the TI-85 is as good or as poor as a TI-92.  I don't know
about the TI-86 but I think "fractions" wasn't an added feature.  When we
were building a roof using fraction inch tape measures. I used an HP-32 it
does a much better job of fractions than any TI graphing calc.  I use the
best tool I have for the job.

stay connected,
Elwood

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Ruess wrote:

> Hi I just bought an 85 and am a little frustrated.
>     My main question is: DOES it do fractions????
> I find it hard to believe that they could make this advanced of a
> calculator that doesn't do fractions.
>
> If it doesn't, by the way, does the TI 86 do them?
>
> Thank you very much,        ruess@hotmail.com

Follow-Ups: References: