Re: Get a Sony WEB TV for ONLY $204.95 + Much More!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Andrew Wendt wrote:

> > Ok, I can prove it to you.  Let's take a little look at the definition of
> > a fax machine found in 47 USC (which is the segment containing the junk
> > fax law).
> >
> > 47 USC Sec. 227
> > (a)(2) The term "telephone facsimile machine" means equipment which has
> > the capacity (A) to transcribe text or images, or both, from paper into an
> > electronic signal and to transmit that signal over a regular telephone
> > line, or (B) to transcribe text or images (or both) from an electronic
> > signal received over a regular telephone line onto paper.
> >
> > Seems to me that this is pretty self explanatory.  A computer meets the
> > legal definition of "telephone facsimile machine".  Therefore UCE is
> > illegal.
>
> I guess it is illegal when the computer in question has a modem ("over regular
> telephone line"), and a scanner ("from paper into an electronic signal"), or a
> printer ("onto paper"). =8-)

The requirement of a modem I agree with, but a scanner or printer would
not be necessary.  For one thing, only one of the prongs of that
definition needs to be true in order to legally constitute a fax machine.
I can transcribe text and images from paper into an electric signal
without using a scanner.  So as long as you have a computer with a modem,
it can be legally defined as a fax machine.

Follow-Ups: References: