Re: Get a Sony WEB TV for ONLY $204.95 + Much More!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Nick Zitzmann wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 1997 11:21 AM, e e <mailto:bike17@JUNO.COM> wrote:
> > Well, according to current US law, unsolicited email is illegal, however,
> > it is extremely hard to track down the sender.  These people create an
> > email account using false info, send the bulk email, then delete the
> > account right after.
>
> Prove to us that this is illegal.
>
> The junk fax law has remained untested against UCE. Just because it's there
> doesn't mean that it covers everything.

Ok, I can prove it to you.  Let's take a little look at the definition of
a fax machine found in 47 USC (which is the segment containing the junk
fax law).

47 USC Sec. 227
(a)(2) The term "telephone facsimile machine" means equipment which has
the capacity (A) to transcribe text or images, or both, from paper into an
electronic signal and to transmit that signal over a regular telephone
line, or (B) to transcribe text or images (or both) from an electronic
signal received over a regular telephone line onto paper.

Seems to me that this is pretty self explanatory.  A computer meets the
legal definition of "telephone facsimile machine".  Therefore UCE is
illegal.

Follow-Ups: References: