Re: Calculators in Secondary Education

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculators in Secondary Education

Hello,
My name is Elizabeth Wright.  I am doing a similar research project as Amanda
(she sent an earlier message).  I am a graduate student at SUNY Potsdam doing
research on the use of calculators in the secondary (7-12) classroom.  I
would appreciate any comments and responses to the following questions:
     Thanks.
1- What grade math do you teach?  What subject?
2- Do you allow calculators in the classroom?
3- If yes, what type (scientific only, graphing, etc...)
4- What are the students allowed to use them for?  Homework, tests, etc...
5- When you introduce a new topic, are calculators initially used?
6- Do you find that students over rely on the calculators or just use them
for tedious computations? Or.... (you tell me)
7- Do you think that the students know the math better/ about the same/  or
worse than without calculators?
8- Are there any topics that the calculators greatly help understanding?
 (examples please)
9- Are there any topics that the calculators greatly hinder understanding?
(examples please)
10- Do you use computers and programs such as Geometry Sketchpad, etc... to
introduce new topics?
Any additional comments you have are welcome.
Thanks.
Elizabeth A. Wright
WRIGHTNY@aol.com