Re: FTP to ticalc.org

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FTP to ticalc.org

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, jfhill wrote:

> Hi folks,  I've been trying to ftp to ticalc.org to download some 82
> progrqams . No matter the time of day, 3:30 am, 11:00 am, 9 pm, when I
> try to login as anonymous, I get the "come back later, only 25 anonymous
> users allowed " Am I doing something wrong or is ticalc org really that
> busy all the time?

It was just a ploy to make you think we were that busy! :)

Seriously, the problem was that certain misbehaving browsers and
inattentive users kill their ftp sessions without logging off.
Occasionally, this will leave a connection "hanging". With the amount of
traffic we get here, it doesn't take too long to rack up those hung ftp
sessions. I just checked it out and sure enough, we had 25 of the things
just now. Pardon our inattentiveness.

I'm off to write a shell script to automatically kill these hung sessions.
This should prevent this problem in the future.

-Isaac

<pre>
--
Isaac Salpeter