Re: 83 Order of Operation & ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 83 Order of Operation & ASM

In a message dated 96-09-25 16:51:53 EDT, dave_w@NEXXUS.NOVASYS.COM (Dave
Wollenberg) writes:

<< . In my Algebra 2 class, most people (including the teacher w/viewscreen)
 have an 82, but I have an 83. When she put y=4/3X into her calculator, she
 got a curved line (hyperbole?). However, when I did it on my 83, I got a
 diagonal line. But if I did 4/(3X), I got the hyperbole. Did TI change the
 order of operations in the 83 to do the fraction first, and then multiply
 by the variable, instead of treating the variable with coefficient as the
 denominator?

 2. A friend of mine from school with an 83 tried running an asm program.
 It seemed to run ok, but the next day when he turned it on and pressed y=,
 the clac displayed garbage pixels all over the screen, and froze. I tried
 doing stuff like taking out a battery and pressing on 10 times, or taking
 out a battery and holding on for like 10 seconds, but it didn't work. All
 that happens is that when you turn it on, you get the screen it froze at,
 and you can't press any buttons, so I can't reset it the "normal" way.
 When I've run messed up ASM programs, taking out a batteryu and
 pressing on always fixed it, but thats not working now. What can he do to
 fix it? >>

 To answer your first question, yes, TI did alter the order of operations on
the 83.  To always be able to get the right graph, just use parenthesees in
everything.  That will define the order you want to use and the calc will
graph the right equation.  In answer to your second question,  have your
friend take out ALL the batteries INCLUDING the lithium battery, then press
on, then reinstall the batteries and turn on the calculator.  This should
solve the problem.  Hope this helps,  Later.

  ~Steve~