Re: TI-85 vs. TI-82

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-85 vs. TI-82

Yes, but a table does make limits easier, you can see the values approach
the limit.  Also, solver is way too slow...

Also, notice I said *direct* function evaluation.  You don't need to store x
for each entry, you can type y1(5), y1(0), etc.  Saves several keystrokes
each time...  I never said it was impossible on the 85, I said it was more
difficult...

At 16:13 9/20/96 +0000, Ed Plese, Jr. wrote:
>> First of all, the TI-92 is about twice as much as the TI-82 or TI-85.
>> (though I have one and agree, it does kick ass), so the price point may be
>> too high for 'Gryffin'.  Second, the choice was whether to trade an 82 for
>> an 85.  No TI-92 was mentioned as a possibility.
>>
>> IMHO, however, you may (small possibility) want to keep the TI-82 for two
>> reasons: 1) a kickass table and 2) direct function evaluation (in english,
>> you enter y1(x) and it gives you y1 at x rather than multiplying).  The stat
>> functions are better on the TI-82, as well (boxplots, sequence mode, etc)...
>
>I have an 85, and I have never even found a problem where I would
>need a TABLE.  You can just use the SOLVER and it works just as good
>if not better.  Also, the TI-85 can do stuff like y1(x).  All you do
>is store the equation to y1 and then set x to a value.  Then type y1
>and it gives you y1 is x equals whatever you entered.
>
>-Ed

| Peter Kolbus                           +1.810.474.0872 |
| ae607@detroit.freenet.org      #include <disclaimer.h> |
| Due to financial problems, the light at the end of     |
|   the tunnel has been permanently disconnected.        |
| Who is General Failure, and who gave him permission    |
|    to read drive C?                                    |
| ***Written using 100% recycled electrons***            |
|         *** (70% post-consumer) ***                    |