Re: TI-85 vs. 83?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-85 vs. 83?

In terms of raw calculus functions, the TI-85 clearly whips the TI-83.
(Differential equation graphing, etc.).
However, consider that the TI-83 has a better table than the TI-85, and that
will be helpful when doing limits.  The TI-85 doesn't have one built-in, and
though table programs are available, none I've seen automatically determine
undefined points (holes & asymptotes) or allow you to enter x-values to
evaluate manually.  (Correct me if you've seen or written one that does, I'd
love to see it).

The TI-83 does do the basics, numeric integration and differentiation, and
tangent lines.  Ask your instructor(s) what they will use.  If you have the
same calculator, whether it be a 82/83 or a TI-85, you will be able to
follow along better.

At 01:46 9/20/96 GMT, Mark A. Roaquin wrote:
>I'm taking Honors Algebra III, and will eventually take up calculus (BC if
>I think I can take it). How well are the 83's calculus functions as
>compared to the 85's? A 92 is out of the question; most teachers don't
>allow for its use because of its versatile programming capability (in other
>words, easy to cheat). I know also that most games run better on an 85
>because of it's superior linking capabilities.
>
>I'm planning on buying one soon. Any suggestions?

| Peter Kolbus                           +1.810.474.0872 |
| ae607@detroit.freenet.org      #include <disclaimer.h> |
| Due to financial problems, the light at the end of     |
|   the tunnel has been permanently disconnected.        |
| Who is General Failure, and who gave him permission    |
|    to read drive C?                                    |
| ***Written using 100% recycled electrons***            |
|         *** (70% post-consumer) ***                    |