Re: HP48 vs. TI92 - The Reply

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs. TI92 - The Reply

Hi,

I've never seen a TI95, but I am the proud owner of two HP48's and one
TI-85.

pgunn01@ibm.net wrote:

>>For real-world applications, which involve mainly numeric manipulations,
>>the HP48G(X) is the clear winner.  Its numerical integration capabilities
>>and differential equation solver clearly put it ahead of the TI92 for
>>these applications.

>Except for a minor downside. Most people don't know postfix, and don't
>care to learn it. Why should they need to adjust to a different mathmatical
>system for real world applications?

You should learn RPL especially for these realworld problems.
If it is different on the TI-95, I'd like to hear about it.

If you want e.g. x/(y+x), where x and y are given numbers, how do you
calculate it?

on the HP: x DUP y + /
You know you need x twice, so put it an extra time on the stack so
that you can use it later, after having done some stack manipulations
if neccessary.

On a TI-85:
Just type x/(x+y) and you'll get your result, but you have to type x
twice.  That's very easy if x=2, but if x=1.855648896 you'll have to
be careful. The only workaround I know of is storing x in a variable
first. But the drawback of the TI-85 is that it doesn't let you use
directories, so all your variables end up together.

If there is a better way, I sure would like to hear it so I could
start using my TI more.

Bye
        Andy
It is through science that we prove but through intuition that we discover.
                                                        (Henri Poincare)

Andy Den Tandt          email:  Andy.DenTandt@rug.ac.be