Some simple tips on using TI-83 assembly language

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Some simple tips on using TI-83 assembly language

When I first tried an assembly language program on the TI-83,
there were a few simple things that tripped me up initially.  So I
thought I'd share them to help others avoid these problems.

Suppose you have an AL program called TEST, and you have another
program which calls it using "send(9...".  If you make ANY error
in how you call or enter your assembly language program, the TI-83
always reports a syntax error in the calling program, not in the
AL program, and always in the same place:

     Send(9prgmTEST
                  ^

If you get a syntax error here, here are some possible causes.
I've made almost every one of these mistakes :(

* program TEST doesn't exist

* the "send" command you use to call the AL program may not
  have a closing parenthesis:
                  good                   bad

                  Send(9prgmTEST         Send(9prgmTEST)

* program TEST must have an even number of digits on each line

* the size of the data area must be given with 4 digits.
  For example:    good         bad

                  :End         :End
                  :0000        :00
                  :End         :End

* program TEST cannot have an ENTER after the last "End".
  For example:    good         bad

                  :End         :End
                  :0000        :0000
                  :End         :End
                               :

Evan Romer                                   Susquehanna Valley HS
sv_golden@SUNYbroome.edu                          Conklin NY 13748