Re: HP48 vs. TI92 - The Reply

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs. TI92 - The Reply

In article <50drlt$3742@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>,  <pgunn01@ibm.net> wrote:

>Except for a minor downside. Most people don't know postfix, and don't
>care to learn it. Why should they need to adjust to a different mathmatical
>system for real world applications?

When I first started using the HP48, I found it took only a few days to
adjust to RPN/postfix operation.

>So your view of the TI-92 is that it's mainly capable of just algebra?

No.  It is capable of many symbolic manipulations that the HP48G (without
add-ons) is not.  These symbolic manipulations are often used more in a
school environment than in the "real world".  Please note that I did not
say that symbolic manipulations are used ONLY in school.

Remember that both the TI-92 and HP48 are programmable calculators, so in
that sense they are "capable" of just about anything.  In fact, I wrote a
discrete-time convolution program for the TI-92 which was made much more
user-friendly by the TI-92's built in symbolics.

Of course, in the real world, I wouldn't use a handheld calculator to do
convolution, I'd just punch the problem into MATLAB.

<pre>
--
David Rice
<drice@asu.edu>