92 vs. 48

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

92 vs. 48

This battle between the calculators is as bad as the battle between
operating systems.  Here is my view on the whole situation.  I do not have
a HP 48 series calculator.  I tried some $160+ hp48 (I do not remember the
model) at OfficeMax.  I of course had no idea what I was doing in that 5
minutes, so I didn't really see any of it's capabilities.  I was however,
in that short amount of time, impressed by the few features I saw.  The
same was true with the TI-92, though I have to be biased towards that,
since our school is based primarily out of the TI series.

This is the way I see it though.  If you can effectively use a TI-92 to get
the job required done, and it serves all your purposes, satisfying your
calculating needs, then you should use it thus.  If instead, you use a 48
series calculator, and it does what you need, then by all means use it
instead.  It's not important how pretty, fast, RAM-filled, ASM capable, or
whatever your calculator is, it is much more important that you can utilize
it as best you can, you are comfortable with it, and it does what you need
it to do.  "To each their own."  No matter what you say, there will always
be die-hard TI users, and die-hard HP users.  Who knows, some of us may
only really need a plain casio 12 button calculator that can barely add and
subtract, rather than $200 portable math machines that are more used for
playing games...

It is quite possible my logic is flawed, but the way I see it, if the
calculator works for you,  use it.  My TI-92 serves my purpose, I'm happy
with it, thus it's the calculator for me.  My uncle swears by HP
calculators, and will settle for nothing else.  He likes them, he knows how
to use them, and it all works out.

Aaron
<pre>
--